Dear new friend,
If you are considering trying yoga or Pilates for the first time, I know how intimidating it can be. One can be put off trying yoga by the images of washboard stomachs and bristling biceps!
KPY offers yoga for normal people. Pilates classes form 10% of our total class offerings as we believe it’s a good complement to yoga. There is no weight, fitness or flexibility requirement for you to come to class. Yoga is a journey through which you open your body by increasing your flexibility and build up your strength.
This is how a class runs:
- most students arrive five to ten minutes before the class is due to begin
- after settling ourselves we start warming up the body through movement and stretches
- yoga is made up of a number of poses that are called ‘asana’. We begin doing asana’s in various sequences and at different paces to give your body a great workout
- we end each class with a long relaxation to ensure you leave feeling fully refreshed!
A good teacher will never take you to the more difficult poses before you are ready. There is no competition between students; in fact yoga strongly encourages us to leave our egos at the door.
- check out our online schedule and let us know which classes you would like to attend
- register for an account (top left corner) and you can start booking the class you wish to attend
- note that we have 2 studios – East Coast and River Valley – so pls book the right class
- class definitions are found here but we reckon it’s best to start with beginner-level classes if you are completely new
- pay $50 for a Newbie Starter Pack containing 3 classes to confirm your booking. You can choose to PayNow to our bank details here.
- if all these sounds confusing, don’t worry. Just drop us an email at MyMat@KatePorterYoga.com and we’ll guide you through everything!
Wondering what to bring or wear?
- wear any loose, comfortable clothing such as sweat pants and a t-shirt
- no footwear is worn
- you are welcome to bring your own mat if you prefer, but we do provide mats, towels, blocks, belts and blankets
- a sense of humour is essential
We believe that ‘perfect’ is the very best you can do on the day. Yoga offers you the chance to manage and develop your own body; you can choose on the day if you are going to push your limits or to be gentle with yourself.
We look forward to seeing you!
The KPY Team